Our activities prepare young people for life and work, by combining and strengthening elements of volunteering and social action. Our focus is to generate within young people a sense of responsibility and ownership for their projects that will later help them to realize their role in the total development of our country.
JAYECAN encourages the involvement of young people from all sections of the society (especially those who are at risk of social exclusion through disability, mental health issues and economic deprivation) and ensure that all have equal opportunity to participate regardless of gender, religious and ethnic background, disability or sexual preference (or any other factor that may result in discrimination and prejudice).
Our corporate objectives are:
- To foster and develop increased learning and development opportunities for young people by encouraging and supporting them to contribute, steer initiatives and lead their own youth-led projects.
- To build strong relationships with organizations that share our aims, thereby further increasing the capacity of young people to build on their skills and aptitudes for their own personal growth and their community’s long term success and development
- To generate within young people a sense of responsibility and ownership for the actions they undertake and to develop their citizenship and involvement in their communities.
JAYECAN is youth community focused, working in partnership with a wide range of organizations to increase the integration of young people in Jamaica. Through volunteering and youth led projects our services reflect the identified needs with the Youth community and are predominantly based on 3 tenet:
- Intergenerational – Through intergenerational practice JAYECAN aims to bring people together in purposeful, mutually beneficial activities which promote greater understanding and respect between generations and contributes to building more cohesive
Communities. Intergenerational activities build on the positive resources that the young, older and middle generations have to offer each other and are an effective way to address issues important to our society. JAYECAN’s Intergenerational initiatives fall into three categories, supporting each other, working together to address nation’s issues, and learning together.
- Active Citizenship – JAYECAN embraces the principles of Active Citizenship and this philosophy is integral to all our work. Young people are encouraged and supported to involve themselves within the community and engage in volunteering. All projects are youth led, gaining inspiration from the young people themselves and through service delivery young people learn and understand each other’s differences and to respect one another.
- Social Action – JAYECAN encourages social action by supporting young people to work together to effect change both in their lives and within the community, raising funds for issues they feel passionate about and organizing practical tasks.